The software must fulfill its functions, meet the specified criteria for quality, safety, and reliability. In this article, we will consider how to estimate software security aspects.
Software security assurance: what does it mean?
Modern information systems are complex software and hardware complexes. Many IPs are part of automated process control systems that operate in real-time. The reliability and security of IP have a decisive influence on the efficiency of automated control systems. It is obvious that without ensuring the reliability and security of IP cannot achieve smooth, error-free, and trouble-free operation
Malicious influences on information in the process of functioning of computer systems for various objectives are carried out to violate its confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Thus, the most important task for every software is providing secure ways to organize data in its system. The need to introduce protective functions into the software throughout its life cycle from the stage of understanding the concept for the development of programs to the stages of testing, operation, modernization, and maintenance of programs is beyond doubt.
Security of software like Virtual Data Room in a broad sense is the property of this software to function without the manifestation of various negative consequences for a particular computer system. The level of software security is understood as the probability that, under given conditions, during its operation, a functionally suitable result will be obtained.
Each software solution uses a diverse set of powerful mechanisms to detect modern types of threats: the use of global reputable databases of files and links:
- the latest developments in machine learning;
- launching files with unknown (suspicious) content in virtual environments (emulates real infrastructure);
- the use of behavioral analysis based on artificial intelligence and more.
What are the basic software security features?
General criteria for estimating software security is a standard based on product and computer security system assessments. It guides the required functionality and warranty for products related to safety and other items in a specific environment.
Security software is required to perform logical and intelligent security functions that are built into the system software. The is a list of security features that are implemented with the help of software:
- control download and login using;
- password systems;
- prohibition of unauthorized external access of a remote user;
- delimitation and control of access rights to system resources, terminals, permanent and temporary data sets, etc ;
- protection of files from viruses;
- defending of software integrity;
- authentication of the subject according to the identifier provided by him;
- automatic control over the work of users by recording their actions.
How to estimate it?
Analysis and assessment of compliance with functional safety are carried out in two directions:
- Analysis of the processes of ensuring functional security in the software life cycle by the submitted technical and regulatory documentation.
- Carrying out tests of the safety functions realized programmatically and installed in the equipment.
There are the following actions to estimate the software security features:
- Testing is a type of activity or procedure for conformity assessment, which consists of evaluating the quantitative or qualitative characteristics of the object as a result of exposure to it during its operation, modeling, or impacts.
- Software testing. As for software testing, its purpose is to identify errors (defects, shortcomings) in the software implementation of the specified software properties. The peculiarities of modern software production imply that testing is integrated into the software quality management system at all stages of the life cycle.
- Information security risk analysis. Risk analysis includes the stages of inventorying and categorizing resources, identifying significant threats and vulnerabilities, and assessing the likelihood of implementation of threats and vulnerabilities.